1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Archive - Dev Updates Summary, Community FAQ, & More

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Noontide, May 3, 2013.

1. Noontide

Noontide Community Manager Dev Team

The Archive
    The Central Repository for all your Underlording Needs!

Thread Contents
    Post 1: Updates, Threads & Information
    Post 2: Community FAQ (Closed for Refurbishment)
    Post 3: List of confirmed units, rooms etc.
    Post 4: Livestream Transcripts & Images
    Post 5: The Gallery
    Comments, Questions & Answers
    Important Updates & Informative Threads
    Bedrock Beta Useful Threads
    Bedrock Beta Patch Notes

Development Updates Summary

Links & Sources of Information
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014 at 02:25
    Reyh!, Varon, Blizzard and 2 others like this.
  2. Noontide

Community FAQ
    Closed for Refurbishment

The Big One
    Q. What is War for the Overworld?

War for the Overworld is a Dungeon Management Game developed by Subterranean Games. Inspired by other games in the genre such as Dungeon Keeper and Evil Genius. WFTO seamlessly merges and builds upon God game and RTS Elements to create a labour of love to reinvigorate and push the boundaries of the genre.

In War for the Overworld the player assumes the role of an Underlord intent on ridding the world from the "Goodly" forces of the Empire who seek an end to all things evil. At the Underlord's command are a host of dark spells, productive rooms, fiendish traps, unholy rituals and terrifying creatures each with their own needs and whims.

However, toppling an Empire is no easy task and to do so the Underlord must create his own domain, his minions will shape the underworld into a Dungeon of the Underlord's own malevolent design, rooms and corridors must be dug from the earth, traps laid and walls fortified.

But shaping a Dungeon is only half the story, seeing to the needs of it's denizens is the other and this means providing a place to rest and to feed, keeping coffers filled with gold from natural seams and plundered heroes. Keep your Minions happy and they will serve you loyally in archives of unfathomable knowledge and power and Workshops of diabolical design., fail to do so and you may find yourself in dire straits as your minions desert and betray you.

Regardless of how secure you may build your Dungeon, the time will come when the goodly forces of the Empire or even the forces of rival Underlords will press on the gates or perhaps you will bring the fight to them first? Regardless your minions will provide your loyal fighting force, gaining experience in battle and through training they stand ready to strike fear into the hearts of those who would seek your destruction.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Varon, Peetfighter and Amon like this.
  3. Noontide

List of unveiled or hinted units, rooms etc.
    The following are elements of the game that have been officially unveiled or which have been mentioned/hinted at being a part of it if there is a pertinent source for the reveal you will find a link to it. This list will be regularly updated as new game elements are revealed.

Thank you to ToffeeJay for his stellar work on this list so far and for contributing it to The Archive. You can see his original thread here, be sure to give him a like for his work!

Underlord Units
    Augre
    Bafu
    Beastmaster
    Chunder
    Crackpot
    Cultist (Upgrades into: Behemoth, Archon or Eternal)
    Ember Demon
    Frost Weaver
    Gargoyle
    Ghoul
    Gnarling
    Necromancer
    Oculus
    Shadow
    Skarg
    Spirit (mentioned - livestream)
    Succubus
    Vampire (mentioned - livestream)
    Witch Doctor
    Worker

Empire Units
    Arcanist
    Bard
    Dryad
    Dwarven Worker
    Firebreather

Huntress
    Inquisitor
    Juggernaut
    Matriarch
    Priestess
    Sentinel
    Templar

Neutral Creatures
    The Horror of Nephren-ka (Creature from the Stairs of Nephren-ka - Mentioned)

Rooms
    Alchemy Lab
    Arena
    Archive
    Barracks
    Beast Pit
    Crypt
    Foundry
    Lair
    Prison
    Sanctuary
    Slaughterpen
    Spirit Chamber
    Stone Bridge
    Garrison
    Tavern
    Torture Chamber
    Treasury
    Wooden Bridge

Spells
    Cauterize
    Summon Worker
    Illusory Wall
    Impasse
    Lightning
    Possession
    Prophecy
    Rally
    Recall
    Shockwave
    Unnamed spell which abolishes the enemy Area of Influence

Rituals
    Avarice
    Fortify

Global Warming
    Seal
    Pacify
    Ice Age

Weaken
    Wither

Defenses (Traps, Doors, Devices)
    Ballista
    Barricade

Bone Chiller
    Ember Rift
    Glacial Rift
    Rampart
    Replacement Wall
    Underminer
    Unnamed Trap which reduces your enemies Area of Influence
    Wooden Door

Potions
    Flash Freeze
    Hellfire
    Work a lot

Shrines
    Primordial Tome (Previously Ancient Tome)
    Stairs of Nephren-ka
    Fires of War
    Brooding Intellect

The Idol of Power
    The All-seeing eye

Shrine which can be mined to infinitely generate gold (Mentioned- Livestream)

Mechanics
    Area of Influence
    Veins of Evil (Sloth)

Tiles
    Sacred Ground (Here too) (Recent Livestream)
    Ice
    Permafrost
    Brimstone

Chasm
    Defunct
    Market
    Bloodling
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014 at 02:26
  4. Noontide

Livestream Transcripts
    These Transcripts will contain the answers to various questions asked throughout each Livestream.

For the most part I will be uploading Transcripts as soon as I complete them after the Livestream, provided of course that I was watching it. These transcripts will be very very messy but I should hopefully capture the most important information. I'll try and clean them up should I find the time.

Transcripts

WFTO Wednesday #5 Semi-Draft Transcript

WFTO Wednesday #7 Draft Transcript

WFTO Wednesday #10 Draft Transcript

WFTO Wednesday #13 Transcript

WFTO Wednesday #19 Draft Transcript

WFTO Wednesday #21 Transcript

WFTO Wednesday #29 Transcript

*Latest* WFTO Wednesday #47 Transcript

Interviews

James Heinichen w/ Mumbolian Transcript

Latest Screen Caps - WFTO Wednesday #29 Coming Soon Maybe

Archived Screen Caps

WFTO Wednesday #7

WFTO Wednesday #5 "Flame Monkey"

WFTO Wednesday #10 In-game Assets

WFTO Wednesday #13 Animated Effects

WFTO Wednesday #21
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2014
    Varon, Peetfighter and Amon like this.
  5. Noontide

The Gallery
    The Following is a selection of images ranging from concept art to renders to screenshots that have been officially released by the devs. You'll find most of the art and screenshots released in the updates here as well as a couple of things you might never have seen before. There will only ever be at most 50 images in this post at once, if you wish to view more you can click the view album links.

Units (View Album)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Rooms (View Album)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Other (View Album)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  6. Simburgur

Simburgur CEO & Creative Director Dev Team

I hear Noontide is really handsome.
  7. Noontide

I heard that too! Don't believe the hype.

For the purposes of keeping the forum clean I've merged the Community FAQ and Livestream Transcripts into one thread, from now this repository of dark, arcane knowledge shall be known as "The Archive".

I've updated the Community FAQ as part of this and you'll find a few more answers to some frequent questions as well as more up to date answers for others.

As always if you spot any discrepancies or if you want to see something here that isn't please feel free to offer feedback, this is for the community after all :)

The previous stickies have now been depreciated and have been locked but you can still view them by searching them on the forum :)
  8. Robofish

Robofish Arcanist QA Team

Understood, I will take it for granted you are ugly.

In other news, great job!
    Amon likes this.
  9. Cultist Joris

Cultist Joris Juggernaut QA Team

I didn't know there was a bard...is it still going to be in the game?

Well done Noontide the Handsome! ;)
  10. Noontide

Who knows ;)

I've added a couple more extra oddities to the Creatures, Rooms and Other Albums. Some rarer early concept art post-DK but pre-split era :)
  11. Amon

Amon Witch Doctor

I had wondered what had happened to the Bard. I can easily imagine him as a medieval General Lionwhyte. Except the Bard can actuslly sing...
  12. Cultist Joris

Cultist Joris Juggernaut QA Team

Hmm...what happened to WftO Wednesday #1?
  13. Noontide

When I made the list I made the concious decision to choose only updates with Development information in them, WFTO Wednesday #1 only contains information about backing the project, which is no longer valuable. If I had included everything the list would be twice as long :)
  14. mishko

mishko Gargoyle

I heard that once you convert the bard it can perform in the tavern
  15. Tommonius

Tommonius Chunder Backer

dunno much about hero units though it would be hilarious for a sobbing bard to sing "death to the underlords" while tied up on stage while minions sarcastically cheer him on.

infact only a few have been revealed but I am so sure I have seen some hero concept art that I can no longer find including a female in armour and a few other knightly like units can anyone confirm they are still in the game or where to look at the pictures of them?
    Amon likes this.
  16. Noontide

I stretched the bounds of my knowledge and searched the deepest darkest crevices of the Archives and the closest thing I could find was a very VERY old piece of concept art from roughly 2-3 generations of the WFTO Team ago:

[​IMG]

Naturally it's very unlikely any of this stuff will be used in the final game as it comes from so long ago and it's pre WFTO Universe and the team is so different since then, still it's a little interesting tidbit of WFTO History.

I couldn't find anything else matching your description but I will say that there are a couple more female heroes yet to be revealed and we'll definitely be seeing some more armoured goodies!
  17. Tommonius

Tommonius Chunder Backer

Thanks for the response, appreciate it! Yea i got my wires crossed, saw the War for the overworld kickstarter video where it shows you a brief picture of a priestess i think and then some armour types, woopsie.

Also thanks for the slight teaser, really want to know what the heroes to bring to the table if not ore than our remaining minion units, and yea I know that sounds strange but still :rolleyes:
  18. Noontide

I've just finished quickly merging the list from "What we know so far". As I'm sure you all know Toffeejay's stellar work on this list has helped us keep track of all sorts of announced details regarding the game and he's generously donated his list to the dusty shelves of the Archive.

I'm happy to be able to continue the awesome work he's put into that list in here as part of this repository for all things WFTO! Be sure to drop by on ToffeeJay and give him a like for all the hard work he's put in over the past six months, it's not secret that without his thread the Community FAQ you see here and indeed this very Archive may never have existed!
  19. Tommonius

Tommonius Chunder Backer

okay Noontide, time to pick your brains again.. mmm Brains *drool*

*wipes away saliva*

anyway I noticed under enutral creatures that The Horror of Nephren-ka is listed as neutral, I ain't heard of that before so is that a mistake or is it indeed going to be a neutral creature? If so could we see one running around with the heroes?
  20. Noontide

The Horror of Nephren-ka is a creature that is summoned when you control a shrine called the Stairs of Nephren-ka it will generally run around killing stuff that get's close, We don't really know much about it though. It fits into Neutral creatures for this reason. So I guess if the Empire controlled the shrine it might work, we don't know much about how the Empire interracts with shrines though.
    Amon likes this.